Football season is almost here, which means fans across the nation are preparing to break out their favorite jerseys and purchase season tickets. But as a marketer, what does this mean for you and your brand? And how can you capitalize on this vast, captive audience? Don’t get conned into spending too much for an ad that will drown in the competition. We’re here to share some of the best ways to get your ad noticed with aerial advertising.
It’s no surprise that NFL games are one of the most attractive large marketing platforms for advertisers. The average USA football stadium holds between 70,000 and 100,000 fans each game, and this doesn’t include the millions of fans watching from the comfort of their homes. Obviously, if you choose the most effective advertising medium, your ad has the potential to reach thousands (even millions) of people. So why should you choose aerial advertising at NFL games? Here are a few key reasons that might surprise you.
1. Cost-Effective – Aerial advertising is far more cost effective than traditional methods. Simply put, major marketing campaigns are expensive. Radio, television, and print ads need to run over and over to really ignite consumer interest. These costs add up quickly, and before you know it you’ve exceeded your budget for the year. For example, a 30 second TV spot during Sunday night football will easily cost you upwards of a half million dollars. Multiply that number by eight and you’re pretty close to Superbowl pricing. Aerial banner towing and blimp advertising are available at a fraction of the cost and you don’t have to worry about being skipped over by the DVR.
2. Highest Rate of Recall - According to a Nielson report, aerial advertising has the highest rate of consumer recall. Approximately 84% of people remember the messaging on aerial banners and blimps after a football game. If you’re looking to build brand awareness, blimp advertising and aerial banners are a perfect platform to drive your brand messaging home. Not sure how to pull off an aerial ad? Check out our 4 Top Examples of Aerial Advertising from Van Wagner’s Hall of Fame.
3. Expand Your Reach – According to a 2014 poll conducted by the Associated Press, 49% of the U.S. population identify themselves as NFL fans. If you’re looking to target men with your aerial campaign, NFL games are obviously a wise choice. But football isn’t a male-dominated fan base anymore. In fact, 55% of women say they enjoy watching NFL games. Pro football is sneaking up on baseball as America’s favorite pastime and your ad will appeal to men, women, families, and the next generation of fans!
4. Boost Engagement – People engage with sports like nothing else. By getting creative with your aerial ad messaging, you can easily have thousands of people tweeting your hashtag, checking out your website, and hopefully, buying your product. Don’t choose the same copy you’d run on a print ad, it needs to be short, sweet, and impactful. You want people to point at your ad and say, “Wow, that’s really clever.”
5. Complement a Ground Campaign – Once you have their attention, reinforce it. By complementing your aerial campaign with a ground team, you’ll be able to take your messaging to the next level. Consider having a booth set up in the parking lot during tailgating, or have brand ambassadors walking around handing out promotional offers. Since you have a presence in the air, fans will be far more likely to listen to your pitch on the ground.
6. Loyal and Diverse Fan Base - Your aerial ad will get attention, and transcend the clutter of advertising in and around the stadium as well as on the television. And remember, football fans are some of the most loyal fans out there. By affiliating your brand with the home team, you’re building upon the foundation of trust that is fundamental in any consumer/ seller relationship. Check out what Dunkin Donuts® did below.
Overall, if you’re looking to generate buzz, aerial advertising at a NFL game is the right choice for you. One thing is for certain, aerial advertising is effective at targeting large groups of people, no matter where they’ve decided to gather. By deciding to fly at NFL games, you will be choosing a cost-effective alternative to traditional media, and will also be associating your brand with some of the most loyal fans in the sporting industry. Don’t wait to get noticed, contact us today!
Want to learn more? Click below for our free guide!